While most of these pre/post storm tips are easy to accomplish they are sometimes easily forgotten after being without power for a few days. PLEASE READ AND FORWARD THIS TO YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES AS A REMINDER:
- If you are without power from a storm, make sure you SHUT OFF ALL CIRCUIT BREAKERS to your home. This way, when power is restored, you don’t run the risk of a power surge burning out any of your electronic equipment.
- OPERATE ALL GAS STOVES, GAS GENERATORS, ETC. WITH EXTREME CAUTION and if possible get to a local hardware store, Home Depot, etc. and pick up a BATTERY OPERATED CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR AND SMOKE ALARM to keep you safe while yours are down.
- KEEP AWAY FROM LOOSE OR DANGLING POWER LINES and report them immediately to your power company. While they may look harmless, you never know if they are live.
- REFRAIN FROM USING CANDLES as much as possible while dealing with a power outage to prevent accidents in your home with potential gas leaks and flammables. FLASHLIGHTS ARE A BETTER ALTERNATIVE.
- NEVER USE A GENERATOR INSIDE HOMES, GARAGES, CRAWLSPACES, SHEDS, OR SIMILAR AREAS even when using fans or opening doors and windows for ventilation. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours, even after a generator has shut off.
- Advise all home occupants to USE CAUTION AROUND THE MANY EXTENSION CORDS that could be a “trip and fall” hazard.
- CREATE AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLAN BEFORE A STORM in case of a fire or carbon monoxide scare. Don’t forget to include the family pet!
Image Credit: TheAtlantic.com